Welcome to our blog!

Thanks for visiting our blog. If you'd like to get updates when we publish a new post, please enter your email in the follow by email box to the right. Alternatively, you can follow using an RSS reader (I personally use NewsBlur combined with GrazeRSS for Android).

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Red-tailed Hawk and Blue Jay


All this spring at work, I've been seeing a couple of red-tailed hawks out my office window. A couple of times I've also seen one on a light post on my way home. Up until today, I either didn't have my camera with me, or had the camera and just plain failed. Today I finally had some success!


Failures

Once I was driving through campus and flushed one from a tree and it flew off in the opposite direction. I went back that direction but couldn't find it. And of course, as I was driving home I saw it on a light post too late to get back on campus. It would have taken me 5-10 minutes to get back to the spot and I figured by then it would have flown off. Another time, I saw a turkey vulture soaring over the parking lot so I figured I'd take a few throwaway frames to play with some camera settings. After I was finished I saw a large bird soaring toward me and assumed it was the turkey vulture. Wrong. Turned out to be a hawk, but by the time I realized it it was much too late. And it flew right over my head.

Success

Today was a win though. I exited work through a path that lets me see the light posts from a vantage point on campus. I saw the hawk, so I turned around as soon as I could. It had moved, so I was disappointed eventually. But then I saw it had moved to an even better spot. It was even closer! I stopped in the middle of the road (on campus) and grabbed some shots. I so wish the Tamron 150-600 I have on order was here, it would have been an excellent opportunity to give it a test. I got the opening shot, and then a blue jay showed up to harass the hawk. Awesome.




No comments:

Post a Comment